Sunday, September 25, 2016

Season Ten, Game Two: Spartans vs. the Seminole Razor . . . and the Rain

We believed today's Sunday afternoon match up in Shawnee was going to be canceled because of the rain. It rained hard Saturday night, Sunday's games played in Ada were cancelled, and it rained on the drive up. We were supposed to arrive thirty minutes before kickoff, but after we had to return to the house to pick up Emi's green jersey, in case it was needed (it was), we arrived fifteen minutes before kickoff to find that the coaches and official had agreed to start the game ten minutes ahead of the scheduled start time to get in and out of the rain as quickly as possible. Emi made it just in time for the ritual cleat inspection and then, for the first time since the first game of last year, when he was playing up with a team he hadn't practiced with, started the game on the sideline. When the Razor scored, about ten to fifteen minutes in, Emilio subbed in at center forward. Not long afterwards, he got off the shot-on-goal below with such suddenness that I didn't see where the ball went.
As it turns out, the Razor goalkeeper made a great save.



Seven minutes later, the battery I put in two days ago is blinking, and I don't have any in reserve. I am so grateful that I have enough juice to catch Emi delivering one of his best ever: a double swerve, through-the-legs, Luke-Skywalker-into-a-narrow-Death-Star-channel laser between the goalkeeper and the far post. And the score is tied. Wait for the post-goal smile.


Because the battery is dying, after I shoot a video, it takes the camera a long time to get ready for the next shot, so I miss Emilio robbing the ball from the Razor on the ensuing kickoff and weaving his way through the defense. But I do not miss the shot he scores a mere minute after the first to give the Spartans the lead: 2-1.

At half time, I jump in the van and rush to the nearest gas station, where I buy replacement batteries. By the time I get back, the second half has already started, after an abbreviated half-time.

Emi gets bumped to the ground a number of times in the second half. The score remains 2-1 throughout until almost the end of the game, when we get in a late comforter.

Final score: Spartans win, 3-1.
Emi scores 2 and has 8 through two games.
Our record: 2-0.

No comments: