Emilio's new soccer season begins. A random draft of players puts Emilio on the white team, where he will play beside his old pal Eva and under the direction of Eva's parents Dwight and Deena. No players from the Lime team on the new Silver team, which will go by a name nominated by Emilio--the "Silver Surfers." Uniforms did not get here in time, so Emilio's team is wearing the blue numbered vests that you see in these videos. At the beginning of the game, I found myself talking to the dad of one of Emilio's former teammates. I commented that the longer fields were going to tire the kids out. Turned out not to be the case. There are more kids on the field and Emilio is now the youngest in his age group instead of the oldest, so there was reason to believe that he might not dominate play like the did last spring.
Emilio was the first to score.
And the second.
And the third.
The fourth is one of my all-time favorite Emi-goals. Watch how Emi intuits from the back of the scrum that the ball is going to come out on the other end, so he turns on the jets and loops around to the other end to snatch it away and kick it in.
Number six was a quick strike.
Number seven started with a crafty swipe.
I know from experience that it will be difficult to keep score in these games, and Emilio and I frequently argue about what the score is--even during the game. Emi's coach Dwight told the team--rightly, I'd say--not to worry about the score. When I did the voice over for this one, I got it wrong, not giving Emi credit for his ninth.
No comments:
Post a Comment