On Monday, March 13th, Emilio, Mari and I celebrated the eighth birthday of Iona Gibson (in the photo at right; it was also the birthday of Emilio's Tia Gimena as Mari's blog fans know). We met Iona for the first time in Xiamen, just a few months after she was born, and caught up with her and her little brother Aedan in the summer of 2000, when we visited the Gibson clan on the Isle of Lewis. The Gibsons are hoping to visit us in Chicago this summer during the second week of July and we're looking forward to meeting Iona and Aedan all over again.Last Monday night I also went to O'Hare to pick up Emilio's grandmother and her travelling companion, Peter Cottontail (whose voice sounds like Gene Autry's). The two of them stayed with us all week (spring break at Mansfield Summit High School).
Every morning, after Mari went to work, Mom and Emilio made their way through Emilio's growing library and played together while I slept in. When I went to work on Tuesday and Thursday, they hung out together at the house. It was a low-key week of Sudoku, bologna sandwiches, John Grisham, rottini Tuscany, Freakonomics, Turner Classic Movies and dulce de leche ice cream for Mom, and a thrilling week of lullabies and stories and gymnastics for grandmother and grandson.
On Thursday, when I got home from school, Mom, Mari, Emilio and I walked the long block to Corner Grille where we met Jack and Julie for hamburgers, meatloaf, fajitas and talks about the Italian Renaissance . Luckily, our favorite singing waitress, Audrey, was working the evening shift. She wasn't so happy to be there (she prefers the day shift), but Emilio cheered her up. She carried him around the restaurant, introducing him to her other customers and then rewarded him with a beautiful, bluesy "Summertime" serenade.
After we'd closed down the Corner Grille, we walked two more long blocks up Clark Street for Sweet Occasion desserts, and then headed home.On Friday, we bid Mom a sad farewell as she headed back to Texas, leaving behind fond memories of stories read and songs sung. And Peter Cottontail, who is rooming with us now.
4 comments:
I've had this posting ready for several days now, but Blogger has been having technical difficulties that have prevented me from publishing it until now. It has been oh so frustrating!
Lots of good memories. And good pictures. Thanks!
It is great to know that not only dad and mom read to Emilio but also grandma. Nice pictures!
grandmother does a mean imitation of emilio laughing. very cute.
Post a Comment