When Emilio woke up this morning, he was talking like never before. Part of the time, he seemed to be quoting Elaine Benes: "yadda, yadda, yadda" (twice). Sometimes he would get his jaw going first and after he'd cranked it a few times the sound would start coming out, like water from a hand-pumped well. Sometimes he would put his tongue between his gums and chew on it while trying to say all the same things he'd been saying before--an old actor's exercise. Most of the time, he seemed to be imitating Mari and me, as if to say, you guys go on and on and on and on and on as if I could understand you, but I can't, so I'm just going to give you some of your own medicine.Tonight, at around 10:30, after a full day of this jabber, he started crying inconsolably and after some diagnostic trial and error we finally guessed
what Emilio had been trying to tell us all day: he was pregnant! Once we figured this out, we felt some relief, but we didn't know how long the labor would last. We got some cold cloths and some ice, tried to massage and comfort him, and that all seemed to help some. Finally, at around eleven p.m., Emilio became the proud papa of his first tooth. Front, middle, bottom, left. We read that he could get some relief if we massaged the gum area, so Mari and I took turns doing that (see photo at right). We also put a cube of ice in a clean diaper and let him suck on that.It was an exciting way to celebrate the end of Emilio's 28th week in this world,. Apparently, Emilio is going to give birth to about 19 more of these suckers, but the first is supposed to be the most traumatic. I hope that is the case.
12 comments:
Congrats to the big E...and also his parents for weathering the storm (or at least the thunder and lightning part of it)...there may be more rain to follow.
Querido nieto:anoche casi entre susurros tu madre nos contó que apareció tu primer diente. Me emocioné mucho al conocer la noticia y sentí que me hubiera gustado mucho cuidarte como abuelo dentista pero ya estoy en retirada y te deseo que aparezcan pronto otras "pequeñas ferocidades" como decía Miguel Hernández, a quien alguna vez conocerás. Enhorabuena y ¡a hincarle el diente a todas las cosas buenas de la vida!
What a big boy he is! Maybe he might like corn-on-the-cob? My children liked Anbesol and vanilla sugar wafers, the kind with ridges. Or a teething ring you put in the freezer. I think you have some of those. Anyway, what a big day!
I loved hearing about Emilio's first tooth! What a fortunate fellow he is to have such caring parents, who seem to interpret his every need. Soon he'll be voicing his own needs in two languages!!!
My favorite part was when Silly Steve said that Emilio was PREGNANT!
Then you will be happy to learn, Olivia, that since I posted this e-mail, young Emilio has given birth again and his first tooth now has a little brother!
And there a many more coming! There's no going back now.
It's exciting to see those teeth come out! Luis started off with two teeth at 7 months and now at 11 1/2 months TWO more teeth came out!
I'm just amazed how sharp the tiny teeth are. I wonder if there's some shark blood in Emilio.
well you're the only one who REALLY knows who the dad is . . .
I think Haley was almost 10 months old before she got her first tooth. My recommendation is homeopathy for teething which I've found to be very effective. Check out the homeopathic section for children at Whole Foods. You always feel so helpless when those cries are inconsolable, don't you?
Fortunately, Emilio’s periods of inconsolability have, on the whole, been brief.
Post a Comment