Wednesday, May 17, 2006

¡Visca Barca!

This afternoon, Emilio enjoyed hearing the cheers of FC Barcelona's fans as his abuelo's favorite team won the 2006 UEFA Champions League--the Super Bowl of Soccer. I turned on the game at halftime (the game was broadcast live from Paris), only to find Barca down 0-1. When Eto scored a goal in the 76th minute, I called Madrid to let Jaime know he had the support of Chicago. We talked briefly--I didn't want to draw him away from the game--and then, while I was on the phone with Emilio's abuela , Belletti scored the goal that gave Barca the lead with less than 10 minutes to play. I was both thrilled to be able to hear Jaime's impassioned "GOOOOOOOOOL!" call, and also relieved that the goal had not been scored when he was answering the phone (I'm not sure if he can see the TV screen from where the phone is).

For those of you who don't know, when I lived in Madrid in the early nineties, Jaime used to set his alarm for 2 or 3 in the morning so that he could get up and watch the Cowboy Super Bowls live with me on Canal Plus (I didn't have a subscription to this channel at my house). The evidence is now almost irrefutable: there is power in numbers, folks. And that means, with Emilio now on our side, the future is bright in Dallas and Barcelona!

4 comments:

ervierto said...

Hoorah! And for the record, though I am tivoing this game for watcvhing with Mom tonight, I had already heard the results elsewhere (Dang!!) so I was not stunningly surprised to find them in this seemingly innocent place.

Anonymous said...

I loved watching the World Cup when we were in Madrid because you could hear the town cheer. What fun! You can add Brian and me to your soccer list.

Maria Jose said...

My dad was glad to know that Emilio is a Barca fan. He was born with good taste for sports.

rnr said...

I love these photos of the proof of Emilio's patronage, and of him and his happy, happy grandparents.