Thursday, May 11, 2006

Linus, Oops, Eritrea

Emilio has not yet developed a Linus-like attachment to the two chenille blankets in his bountiful blanket collection, but he has grown accustomed to having either or both of them near when he and Morpheus get together. The blue one is at his feet in the photo below; the other is the green, pink and white mixture that is covering him. Emilio often nuzzles his face into one or the other, and sometimes uses one to completely cover his head--to block out all the light, I imagine. It's nice to have something to do to initiate a going-to-sleep routine, and bringing him one of these blankets has become one of those rituals.

We are expecting the Mother's Day package we sent via UPS to arrive in Texas today. It was supposed to be accompanied by a card, but though we took it to the OoPS store with us, we forget to include it with the package (oops, indeed), so it will be arriving later--hopefully before Sunday, but we can't be sure. I was, no doubt, distracted by the enthusiasm Helen and Mighisti, the Eritrean UPS employees, showed for the photos of Emilio I showed them. Mighisti is expecting her first child at the end of June.

Anyway, if you read this before the package comes, Mom, you can either wait for the card (which may come Saturday?) or not, but don't wait past Sunday to open the package!.

Eritrea, incidentally, established its independence from Ethiopia on May 23, 1993, after several decades of civil war. According to wikipedia, "the United Nations Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) is occupying a 25 km by 900 km area on the border to help stabilize the region."

7 comments:

lisa said...

for a family with reportedly little floor space it appears as though emilio has found a way to stretch out.

Anonymous said...

The picture is wonderful. Sounds like you've got this sleeping business covered!

Maria Jose said...

And now that we thought he was on a schedule, everythig changed! for the past three weeks he has been waking up every hour. you give him the pacifier and he goes back to sleep.

Maria said...

I was having the same problem with Itzel except that it has happened all the time!!! She doesn't like to sleep a lot. I am amazed Luis sleeps a lot and through the night!

Steve said...

Mari asked me to say that she meant to say that Emilio's habits have been different for the last three days, not the last three weeks.

But I'm not going to.

rnr said...

We bought Haley a blanket which she wore out, then another exactly like the first (we bought a spare at the same time we got the 2nd just in case), then she wore out the 2nd, and started on the 3rd. It was in remnants when she finally stopped using it, and those remnants are some of the most treasured keepsakes I have of her babyhood. I have placed two 3-inch pieces in the archive box I began for her, wrapped in acid-free paper, along with a lock of her hair from the same period.

Steve said...

Emilio is a siesta expert, but I’ll bet Mari wishes he were better at sleeping through the night. He tends to wake up periodically, wanting a pacifier, or a diaper change, or a soothing parental pat.