Saturday, June 17, 2006

Emilio IS Jake Blues

Friday was María José’s last day at work before summer vacation (Yeeeaah!) and in honor of the occasion, Emilio got up early and rode the bus with her to school so that he could meet all of her students and colleagues (the ones he hadn’t met yet). The evening plan was a Mari’s-choice restaurant visit and the winner was: Angel’s. We had hoped to eat on the patio, but it was full when we got there around 6:30, so we settled for a window seat in the dining room. Emilio immediately assumed the relaxed posture that you see in the photo at left with his left foot perched on the stroller tray and spent much of the evening giving a dead-eye stare at the family of three sitting beside us. I imagined that any minute he might say to the man of the family, “How much for the leetle girl? How much for the women?(That's a quote from The Blues Brothers, for those of you who don't know.)I’m not sure the little girl would have been up for a separation from her dad, but the woman of the table might been more open to Emilio’s proposition. She told us she thought Emilio was “charming.”

After dinner, we called Julie and arranged for a rendezvous at Sweet Occasions with her, young Than, and Than’s grandmother Barbara (who arrived on Wednesday). On our way there, we picked up Jack at his Seattle division on Clark Street, where he was memorizing lines for his next play--Lyle Kessler’s “Orphans,” which opens at the end of July (Emilio enjoyed the sneak preview Jack gave him).We waited for the rest of Jack’s crew on the sidewalk outside the Sweet O and later moved indoors for the attack. Mari went for the Zanzibar chocolate with strawberry ice.

5 comments:

Maria Jose said...

In the first picture Emilio seems to be tired of all the compliments he's getting. I think he is thinking: Yeah, yeah, I know I'm cute! How many more times do I have to hear it?

Anonymous said...

Emilio is really growing! I haven't seen your blog for over a week. He has more hair than I expected. I'm sure he is glad his mama is home.

Maria Jose said...

I love when he wakes up in the morning. We have a lot of fun together playing in bed for a while before getting ready for the day.

rnr said...

The last photo - I'm so happy that my daddy has a bald head that I can slide around on. (or is it papa? - I can't remember). When I was in college, I remember what a relief it was when the semester was over and I could stay home with my kids again. I know you will all enjoy it so much.

Steve said...

Daddy, papá, Dad, whatever. It’s all theoretical at this point.