Since we last saw Emilio in this space, he has enjoyed a number of evening strolls around the neighborhood with his mother and me, including a visit to young Mr. Than Lewis (see photo below). I think I can say we were all impressed by Than's swinging ride and if Emilio could, I'm sure he'd be asking us, "Can I get one of those?"
Used
to be that Emilio couldn't hold out for very long on these strolls, but his resistance levels have gradually built up and now he makes an occasional comment and lets us know when he needs a pacifier or wouldn't mind taking a ride in the arm carriage. And we still break out the Baby Bjorn on occasion--as when our stroll took us to Andersonville's annual Midsommarfest this past weekend. This year we limited our purchases to a purple tie-dye t-shirt for Emilio and a lemonade for Mari and we looked pityingly on the people buying turkey legs--which look great, but don't taste great. 
Emilio and I have also become regulars at JB's Kosher Deli on Clark Street, where they make meaty pastrami sandwiches (on rye with yellow mustard), as I discovered during Jaime's visit last to Chicago. At Jaime's request, I got him and María Rosa one to eat on the plane during their flight back to Madrid. I also got one for myself and I am now a habitual user. Gordon's also sells gelato which, I learned on a recent visit, is cream-based, where the ice cream we eat most of the time is butter-based (sorbet is water-based). Mari is a big gelato fan. I also got her a chocolate-covered strawberry the last time we were in.
The fireflies have started coming out. That's always fun.
4 comments:
Good heavens, can it possibly be true that there are still people wearing long sleeves where you live? We so live in the wrong cities!
Dude--that's not just long sleeves-that's a fleece! And I was wearing a hoodie myself. Last summer I went long stretches without being able to wear shorts and sandals. Today it was in the 80s, though.
And yes, we do.
welcome back emilio!
you always look so super fly in your cute clothes. your parents have got a real flair for babystyle. sounds like you are becoming more and more famous everyday. i can't wait to come visit you so you can introduce me to the people in your neighborhood.
Lisa, we will love for you to come and spend time with him. I know you and Melissa will have a great time with him. He is pretty fun and funny, just like his dad. And when he gets mad, man he sounds just like his mom!
Post a Comment