Sunday, May 24, 2015

At the Whitney Plantation


Emilio: "We woke up and had breakfast. Now we are going to the pool. We just got out of the pool. We are now going to the Whitney Plantation.
"We just saw a crocodile. His name was Moby. He's dead.
"I just crossed the Mississippi River! Yay!
"We made it to the Whitney Plantation. I can't wait to learn all about it.
"Today I learned that in 1808 it was illegal to bring slaves into America. I also learned about a girl who was whipped until she was nearly dead. Then they cut her back into pieces and put salt in her back. I learned that some slaves were buried alive. I also learned that 2200 kids died at the age of 8 and under in 40 years. We just got to go inside the slave quarters. I also learned that before the Civil War, the Whitney Plantation counted 22 slave cabins on its site. I just got to go inside a slave jail. The slave jail was built in 1868, 3 years after the Emancipation Proclamation. Some slaves stayed in the slave jail than 1 week. While we were at the slave kitchen we saw a lizard. I learned that some slaves poisoned there slave owners. Sometimes with glass. Most of the things on the Plantation are from the late 1700’s. The last time the house we are in was lived in was 1961, and it was first built in 1752. It’s a pretty awesome view.
The plantation was fun because I got to learn things I didn’t know. I just saw some sugar canes."

3 comments:

granddaddy said...

Oh what a terrible place and what a terrible time in history!
I'm glad you got to see this and get some idea about how terrible slavery was in that place.
Reminder: some people are still enslaved today!
Reminder: the leftovers of slavery in the USA are still all around us in the way people think and act.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information.

Emilio

granddaddy said...

Are you being sarcastic with me?
Just kidding. Your old man told me you didn't want that comment to seem sarcastic or snarky.