Thursday, May 28, 2015

Tupelo and Oxford

Emilio: "We just woke up and got breakfast. Now we are going to Elvis Presley’s Birthplace.
"I am about to see a movie. It’s about Elvis in his young years. I’m all by myself.
"I learned that Elvis Presley was in a contest and the winner got 25$. I also learned that Elvis Presley liked movies."

Elvis was born here in 1935.

"I got to see a replica of Elvis Presley’s bed he was born in. I learned that Elvis Presley had a brother that was born stillborn.
"Visiting Elvis Presley’s birthplace was fun! Now we are going towards William Faulkner’s house."

William Faulkner moved here in 1930 and lived here until his death in 1962.

Emilio: "We made it. Fun Fact: William Faulkner loved snakes. Every snake he saw he named it Penelope. Story: One day his sister was going to get married and her boyfriend found a snake in his shoes. He told Faulkner and he said, Oh its Penelope she’s not harmful."

James Meredith made history here in 1962.

"We made it to the Peabody Hotel. It’s super fancy. We walked on Beale Street. We came back and had a Peabody Duck and a Lemon Merengue. Then we went back to our room."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ver estas imagenes seguidas, casa de Elvis, de Faulkner y el afroamericano que exigio ser admitido en la universidad me hace reflexionar sobre el genio, el talento, el corage... A veces nos esfozarmos mucho por ofrecer a los nuestros las mejores condiciones para que progresen o triunfen y luego ves que lo importante es saber superar las adversidades - caso Elvis y estudiante-. Y frente a todos los escritores que a duras penas pueden vivir de su escritura, Faulkner es una excepcion.

granddaddy said...

What a day! From Elvis's humble birthplace to the Peabody Hotel, with Faulkner and James Meredith and Beale Street. When you say your had a Peabody Duck, does that mean you ate a duck? If they don't follow the path from the elevator to the fountain, do they get sent to the kitchen?