Thursday, June 01, 2017

Grand Tour, Day 11: Auvers-sur-Oise

We woke up and ate breakfast. Then we took the train to Auvers-sur-Oise. That's the town where Van Gogh died.
First, we went to a church where Theo tried to have a funeral for Van Gogh.

After that, we went to the cemetery where Van Gogh and his brother Theo are buried. Then we took a walk through a field where Van Gogh painted one of his last paintings.

I think that Van Gogh and his art were both misunderstood. His art was misunderstood because it was a new kind of art, and everybody wanted the old kind of art, so they thought his art was not good. I think he was misunderstood because he had mental problems, so nobody wanted to be around him, and that's why he was lonely.

After we finished the walk, we got macaroons for Nina. Then we went to the store and bought food for a picnic: fruit juices, strawberries, carrots, cheese and a baguette.
 
We had the picnic in a forest. After we finished the picnic, we took a walk through the forest.

  The forest was by the water. After the walk, we went to the room where Van Gogh lived before he died.


Once we left the room, we went on a walk through Auver-sur-Oise.  To my left me in the picture above is a reproduction of a painting that Van Gogh made of the building behind me. 

After we left Auvers-sur-Oise, we rode the train back to Paris and went to a frozen food market and bought ice cream.

Here's a list of my favorite things I did today:
1. Ice cream
2. Train
3. Room
4. Cemetery
5. Field 

2 comments:

Maria Ruiz-Blanco said...

When it was time to eat, I started stressing out, thinking about where we were going to find a restaurant the kids would like, and that we the grown up could enjoy too.
Steve proposed the picnic and I was so glad when Gerardo said that he would love to have picnic. I always enjoyed going to the supermarket during our trip and try to find something new (quinoa salad, new types of candy, yummy bread) and festive to eat. I leave it to Steve to remind us about vegetables and fruit. :)

Anonymous said...

I really like Van Gogh's paintings. Glad you got to walk where he did. Aunt C