Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Grand Tour, Day 23: Berlin Tuesday

We went to the train station to eat breakfast and get information. I had a triple chocolate muffin, and a fruit cup. Then we took a train to an island with a museum on it. The museum was called the Pergamon Museum.



In this museum, we saw the Ishtar Gate. The gate was built during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar II.


On it are are animals such as lions, tigers and elephants.

Another thing we saw was a gate to an important market that was built in the second century. It is much bigger than it appears in the picture above.

After we left the museum, we went to see a statue of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. We took a few pictures and then went to the Brandenburg Gate.


Then we went to the Monument for Murdered Jews. In the Monument for Murdered Jews, there are a lot of blocks of stone to signify graves. You could also go underground to learn more. In the first room, you see some things some Jews said during the war. One of them was a letter from a mother to her children. The second room was about how old some kids were when they died, and how they died. One of the kids was nine years old when he died. The third room was about nine families that had at least one survivor. The one my dad and I read was about a Polish family where the dad and the son survived. The mother and the two daughters died in a concentration camp. At first, I skipped the whole thing because it was too sad, but my dad wanted me to come back so I could learn about it, so I did. It made me sad because millions of innocent people were killed because the Nazis were racist.

Once we left the Monument, we went to the Tiergarten, a big park. We saw a statue that had Mozart, Beethoven, and Haydn. Then we went and had dinner at the train station. I got pizza. After dinner, we went to the Youth Hostel and read and journaled.

Here is a list of my favorite things I did today:
1. Going through the Pergamon
2. Walking through the Tiergarten
3. Walking through the Monument for the Murdered Jews

No comments: